Its a new year, and time for another obligatory post about my new years resolutions; because the more people who know your goals, the more people who can encourage/nag you to get on top of them. Let’s start with what happened in 2012.
Overall, I feel like I did well. I had seven resolutions and nailed four of them and partially did three. There’s a school of thought that says to hone in on one or two resolutions a year, so half doing seven should count as a win. Here’s what they were and how I did:
- Watch the top 125 of the IMDB top 250 (later revised to top 100) – 93. I had watched the top 50 in 2011, and I had already seen some of the movies, but there were a lot left over. Around one every week and a half, which is a lot of movie watching for somebody with six other goals. I also didn’t blog about it enough, so expect some more movie related posts. Here is what I’ve watched so far.
- 12 performances throughout the year – This was deceptively hard, as Summer was hectic and devoid of me playing out. Waffle Taco has been playing more and doing great, and I joined some more “traditional” groups with regular gigs. I also DJed, which I enjoy doing a lot, although I think I’m better at trumpet.
- Make More Money- This had a specific number associated with it, and between a promotion at work, and my creative projects I nailed it.
- Get a Couch- This is a quantity over quality of resolutions kind of goal. We needed a couch. We just had a love seat, and although we love each other, as you will see later in this post, we needed more lounging room.
- Lose 30 Pounds- Didn’t happen. 10 pounds almost happened, but then Christmas cookie season hit.
- Go on a 50 mile bike ride- I’ve been trying to get back into cycling, but 50 miles was a little more involved than I had time to train up to. I did a 25 mile ride, and started commuting to work.
- Get Engaged!– Nailed it! Tia and I are looking forward to getting married in 2013. Not that it was hard, but its important.
Exciting, right? Thanks to all of you who supported me in my goals, especially if you came out to hear some music! This year I am going down to five goals, but they are all important.
- Get Married!- Boom! The date is set and we are looking forward to this Fall!
- Learn a new programming language– Zing! My awesome employers are supporting me in taking a Java class.
- Ride to work 52 times-Ka-Pow! 1 of 52 done today.
- Lose 10 pounds-Woohoo! If I do number three, this should be a snap, regardless of what evil plans my mom bakes up around the holiday season.
- Make more money from music– Whoops! A potential tutoring client bailed on me this weekend, but I am excited for another year of musical endeavors and making some more use of my college degree.